Sunday, August 5, 2007

Emotionally Loaded Words

White Blaze in the Rain

One of the things I've been working on this summer is removing the emotion from the words I use. Why? With Ben's help, I've discovered that once I verbalize thoughts/feelings, they become TRUTH to me. Words are powerful. I have the choice of which ones I allow to linger in my head, which ones come out of my mouth - and they both have direct effect on my attitude.

Examples from the trail...Wet and cold are conditions or states of being and not feelings. I CAN put wet socks on the next morning after a rainstorm without calling it miserable. Climbs up mountains are steep, not brutal.

A practical exercise that's helped me in changing my thought process has been to replace my feeling with a fact. Replace "This unbearable humidity and awful climb..." with "This high humidity and steep climb...". I've experienced great freedom by taking an extra 2 seconds to choose my words, and not allow them to control me and my attitude.

I'm hoping this lesson sinks in deeply as it can apply to the the rest of my life too.

6 comments:

  1. Ben and Lauren. You guys are AMAZING. I'm so glad I got to see you on your stop in Blacksburg. I've been keeping track of your journey since you left. Lauren ... I love your thoughts on words ... it is so true. I will continue to pray for you guys on this journey. I cannot even beginning to imagine the stories, memories, lessons, pictures you will have from this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, We are definately family!!! I have the same problem with my word choices and stuggle with how my thoughts effect my attitude or feelings about things. Since I have read your blog, Jason and I have been more conscious of how many times we add negative words into our thoughts as well as the things we say out loud. Like you said, there really is a sense of freedom that comes from replacing the negative thoughts we tell ourselves on a daily basis with more positive(or true) ones. What a great lesson to learn. We are so proud of you both and continue to keep you in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurn, thanks so much for sharing - this is so true with me, too, and I feel like I've been learning a similar lesson this summer... this is really good stuff... we're praying for you guys

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Figgy! Lauren your message is so positive I just love it. Understanding yourself and making small changes in your daily living can go a long way. I am so glad you brought this to our attention. By choosing a more uplifting word in our vocabulary, we may help relieve stress and totally control our emotional behaviors. I must mention this in my family newsletter. You guys are so awesome for letting us into your wonderful world of land, water and air. Take care and be well.
    Much Love Kimiko

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog and am enjoyint it immensely. This particular entry has really touched home for me as I tend to do the same thing. I will have to try and remember to do this when I am going up that "steep" uphill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Melissa,
    I'm glad you're enjoying reading. We certainly enjoyed our trip, and being able to share our experiences with others. I'll let Lauren know you found her post meaningful.
    _Ben

    ReplyDelete