Tuesday, April 17, 2007

My $500 Jacket

Pieces of my Wind Shell Jacket

Okay, I actually don't know how much it cost me, but after materials and the time-intensive sewing process, it certainly wasn't cheap. So why wouldn't I just pay $30-70 for a brand name shell jacket and be done with it?

Well, the problem is that I fall in between the standard sizes for most manufacturers of long sleeve garments. I'm 6'2", trim, with long arms. So if I buy a Large, most times I'll be swimming in the torso. And If I buy a Medium, the chest will fit well, but the arms will look like I had a post-adolescent growth spurt.

Since I'm making the jacket myself, besides a perfect fit, the other benefits are that it will be better constructed, will have only the features I want and nothing more, and will be lighter weight anything I could buy commercially.

I stayed up until 1:30am last night working on it, and it's almost done. I'll definitely post a picture of it when it's finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment