Friday, April 27, 2007

A New Look at Wool



I've worn wool garments before and they remind me of two things: itchy and hot. Recently I was turned on to some manufacturers who are taking a new approach to wool, making clothing that fit neither description. And the benefit of wool is that it does not promote bacteria growth (i.e. armpit funk) unlike polypropylene or synthetic wicking materials.

We purchased some ultra-fine weight wool shirts in hopes that we'll be less offensive in town or ride-hitching situations. Although pricey ($50-80) compared to the button down polyester shirts we were considering, we thought they might be justified over a summer of use.

After some extensive testing -- wearing both ways on my bicycle commute and sleeping in it for a week -- I am a believer in the odor-free reputation of wool. I look forward to seeing how they will perform on the trail.

Some manufacturers include:
Ibex, Icebreaker, Smartwool, Patagonia

No comments:

Post a Comment